Sunday, April 25, 2010

Microsoft IT Professional Certifications?

Hi, and thank you for clicking, first of all.



I'm an IT professional with a BA in history and Russian (don't ask). I currently work in customer support where I provide how-to assistance on Microsoft Office apps. I have advanced knowledge of the entire Office suite, am very computer-savvy having owned a DOS/Windows-based computer since I was 10 in 1991, etc.



Anyway, I'm looking at my options beyond my current job, which I can leave as early as Nov '08. Mainly I'm looking for a job that pays better (I currently make $32.5K a year), and I don't want to be a password reset monkey at the helpdesk of some random company.



I'm looking at job postings and see a lot are looking for server expertise (Windows Server 2003, Exchange, etc.), which I don't have. Should I look at Microsoft's various certifications and seek to get MCSE/MCSA or whatever the new equivalent is? Are they worth it?



Also, what's the absolute dirt-cheapest one can get that (i.e. buy books, take no classes, get certified) ?



Microsoft IT Professional Certifications?ie



The Microsoft certs are good especially if you have experience and the certs or a 4 yr degree and the certs.



It is likely that your limited desktop experience will not qualify you for work in the server field. The Server world will involve a lot of areas that you don't have any background in like Active Directory, etc. Many desktop jobs are hands on and this is what you need if you aspire to move into the server world in the future.



Microsoft IT Professional Certifications?microsoft internet explorer



OK I'll recommend you to do certs. For server there are many certs available, Server+, Linux+, MCSA / MCSE, RHCA / RHCE. You need some other certs to get some basic knowledge like A+, Network+ and CCNA would be best. You can get more info. on http://www.certcollection.co.cc/forum

No comments:

Post a Comment